Friday, November 19, 2004

Amazed and Disappointed, but Hopeful...

Picasa (http://www.picasa.com)

I just tried Picasa. It's been such a long and confusing night -- I couldn't sleep again -- that I can't remember why I downloaded it in the first place, but I'm glad that I did.

The quickest way to describe it is: iPhoto for Windows. Those wonderful folks at Google bought the company and now Picasa is free. I have other apps that I use for browsing and managing images, but none are as attractive as this.

I don't know how they do it, but the interface is ClearType, and semi-transparent; and that's with me still using Windows 98! I love the way I can drag thumbnails around to re-arrange them, causing the others to shuffle out of the way. It's not that big a deal productivity-wise to have an interface this attractive, but it doesn't hurt. Well, maybe it wouldn't if I had a newer system. I suspect it's calling on DirectX and Java to do some of the tricks, and it's pushing my setup a bit too much; I had a couple of "Fatal Exceptions."

Never mind. This is one app I'm setting aside for when I upgrade...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home